The UK has some of the most complex tax rules in the world.
One of the main issues for taxpayers is knowing when they need to do something and what they need to do.
Long waiting times in the phone lines when they face an issue, it’s also a problem.
A group of heavy Government services users (people on benefits, childcare support or other services such as Help to Save) for who continually checking the website is time-consuming.
As part of the digital transformation, HMRC decided to update its app. …
Users of the UK Government online services need to prove their identity for claiming benefits, managing their taxes, or managing their information.
In the past, the users needed to make appointments and go with their documents to a jobcentre or receive a code by postal mail, with all the delays, extra time and costs that it involved.
In 2013, Verify was started as a service to allow users to verify their identity online.
Because of Verify’s low performance, HM Revenue & Customs decided, in 2017, to create its Identity Verification (IV) solution.
To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have…
Based on the Agile delivery stages of the GOV.UK service manual
Dive in the mess of your drawers looking for clothes old ago clean but usable for a few days or if you are like me, you go to the laundry and get everything clean and “folded” for the sprint.
You place your stuff in the bed trying to group them while mentally thinking: “Am I going 3 or 4 days?”, didn’t pay much attention when booking the flights, I was busy diving in the drawers and that somehow ended in my backlog… Four days!!
Ok, now I’m ready; all…
We had to create a service that would help low-income citizens to save and improve their saving behaviour.
The general view was that the project wasn’t going to be ready on time for the Government review.
I joined the team to make it work and ready for the Government Digital Service (GDS) assessment as the general view was that the project was going to fail.
The project involved different teams, different interests and requirements pulling in different directions.
My first objective was to get as much information as possible about:
I created a mock board/competitor analysis document with some of the leading players in the industry.
I also collected information about similar apps present on the Apple and Google markets and extracted and analysed the feedback left by their users using affinity walls.
By the end, I got a clear idea of the ecosystem where the new app was going to live.
One of the main issues in Tristar was that the company was…
As part of the sort Discovery we did during the first days of the project we ran a few actions to collect data about our users and the company:
For this analysis, I have used Jakob Nielsen 10 heuristics.
This doesn’t pretend to be an exhaustive list of the site issues, it just highlights the most relevant ones and is part of a full discovery stage for the design of Goodlife’s Community Project website, in Paula Scher words:
“It’s through mistakes that you actually can grow. You have to get bad in order to get good.”
There are too many elements competing for the user’s attention making hard to identify the primary action (I’m gonna guess making a donation…)
Recommendation: I would imagine that the primary goal is getting…
My first challenge was to show what a user-centred design (UCD) approach involved and make them embrace the idea that it was more than ‘re-skinning’ the website.
The ownership change came with a lot of changes and additions on a departmental and management level, as a consequence, the company’s knowledge and its processes were very fragmented and the sources hard to find